New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

martin warn
Starting Member

United Kingdom
5 Posts

Posted - 29/12/2010 :  09:46:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Happy New Year to all, hope "we" will all remember it!
Seems very quiet on here so thought I would introduce myself....
Recently purchase a '71 Stag from Wales, was rebuilt in '97 now needing some TLC, bit like myself! So far changed all hoses, belts, recon steering rack, reminds me of the Money Pit film. Also just bought a couple of Fiat Coupe seats as mine are "very" tired but hope to rebuild and refit in due course. Bought the Stag as a hobby car as spending far to much time and money in pubs as very early retired and fed up with DIY as well.
Will get some photos on when weather improves, good this global warming!
By for now, Martin

V Mad
Starting Member

United Kingdom
24 Posts

Posted - 31/12/2010 :  08:40:52  Show Profile  Visit V Mad's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Welcome to stag owndership Martin. How big is the project, is it a runner or a long term job?

Chris
Go to Top of Page

martin warn
Starting Member

United Kingdom
5 Posts

Posted - 31/12/2010 :  11:07:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good morning Chris,
The car is a great runner, drove it 120 miles home after buying in the pouring rain, no problems. The problems started after I got her home!
After I replaced the water hoses, I got one clip touching the alternator fan, the noise was awful and I convinced myself the problem was the starter motor not releasing, took days, a visit from an auto electrician and a new motor before realising I was wrong. A very helpful Stag guy from Southampton came all the way up here and got the diagnosis correct immediately! Sorted it all out, drove off the ramps and then the steering rack dropped all the fluid over the drive! Recon rack now fitted and wondering what the next job will be.
Although its an early Mk1 and has the unpainted hub caps fitted I am reconditioning a set of original alloys as I prefer the look, not for the purist, same with the Fiat seats.
All in all, happy with the purchase and it is certainly keeping me out of the pub, most of the time...
Happy New Year, and where abouts are you, I am in Maidenhead, Berks.

Be careful what you wish for
Go to Top of Page

V Mad
Starting Member

United Kingdom
24 Posts

Posted - 31/12/2010 :  14:15:24  Show Profile  Visit V Mad's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Martin, it sounds like it has been an eventful start for you. Mind you, I find that buying a classic always means a lot of problems for the first few weeks/months, but in the right hands, once they are sorted, they usually stay that way. I have a Stag and a Sunbeam Tiger at the moment. The Tiger I have owned since 2005, and that now needs virtually no maintenance. The Stag I bought last December, and, having just repainted it, it is now finished (I hope) and runs really well.

I just took off the Holley carb, which I thought ran OK, although there was a slight flat spot, and cold idle wasn't too good. I have now put on one of my Twin-Weber carbs. It now runs so well I hadn't realised how poor it was on the Holley!

I am in Walton on Thames, not far from you really. Hope to see you around sometime. Tomorrow I am at the Brooklands Museum New Years day meeting.
Cheers

Chris (Surrey KT area, UK)
Stag 1978 Auto; Twin Weber, Custom Header tank.
Sunbeam Tiger 260 V8. 1965
Go to Top of Page

martin warn
Starting Member

United Kingdom
5 Posts

Posted - 31/12/2010 :  15:00:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OOOOh memories, I rebuilt a Tiger when I was a "working" mechanic, great car, wern't they used by the Police on the early motorways, M1 as they were very quick? After we had finished the Tiger, the guy was so pleased he gave us a Daimler Dart to do, also used by the law I believe.
Looking forward to the sun coming out!

Go to Top of Page

Stagdad

United Kingdom
52 Posts

Posted - 31/12/2010 :  19:23:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Welcome to the forum Martin ,I'm close to you in Bracknell and we have quite a few friendly owners around here.One of my owner/friends lives in Twyford.I can give you a shout when we have a drive out somewhere if you like.My Stag is 74 MOD mods include BMW e30 rearend transplant and an external belt driven waterpump.

Cheers Steve

Edited by - Stagdad on 31/12/2010 19:26:25
Go to Top of Page

martin warn
Starting Member

United Kingdom
5 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2011 :  22:56:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Steve,
Thanks for the invite, that would be good, hope the sun will be shining, do not like having the roof up!
Please let me know when, Martin

Go to Top of Page

Stagdad

United Kingdom
52 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2011 :  08:54:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ok,will do Martin

74 MOD BMW rear end transplant,External belt driven water pump
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic