New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Traves
Starting Member

2 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2010 :  13:03:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Greetings,

I am considering buying a Stag for a very low price (through family) and using it as my everyday car instead of my nice modern car which I will give back (on one of those hire purchase things).

I love the Stag and have enjoyed riding in it with my family member, but i'm just not convinced it will be suitable for an everyday vehicle?

I dont do many miles, work close to home and do the occasional trip up North to visit in-laws, about 10k a year.

Can anyone enlighten me as to the pro's and con's of getting the Stag in the first place, and then whether it would be suitable for my needs?

One thing in its favour - it only has about 5k miles on the clock, from new.

Although it's in good condition, if I do get it I was thinking of having it restored completely and resprayed a different colour to its current brown.

Any thoughts on any of these matters would be very much appreciated, including roughly how much you think its worth?

Cheers all

Chris

lewy
Forum Admin

United Kingdom
77 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2010 :  10:14:08  Show Profile  Visit lewy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Chris! Welcome to the forum - I say get the stag, If the mileage is that low and it's in good condition get it. There aren't many stags with mileage that low, so if the mileage is genuine it'll be worth a fair bit!

My suggestion is not to restore it unless it really needs it. I decided to restore mine the day I got it before taking in out on the road, two years later (lack of money and a new house) I'm still restoring her.

If you change the colour it will bring the value down a bit as well, especially if everything else is genuine and in good condition.

Stag's are reliable enough - If you have the original Stag engine in it, make sure you change the coolant each year and keep it serviced and you'll not have many problems (Stag engines are known for overheating, but not if you keep on top of everything - More reliable in my opinion that modern cars with computers that screw up all the time, there wouldn't be so many left if they weren't reliable - if they are still going after over 30 years they must be

If you're not doing many miles you may as well do them in style and what could be better than rumbling into work in a growling Stag?

Let us know what you decide and get some photos up if you do decide to purchase it

Lewy

The Stag Mad Team
Go to Top of Page

Traves
Starting Member

2 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2010 :  22:28:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you so much for your response.

I do really want to take it on, I just dont want it to turn round and bit me on the backside!

As for the car itself, its a 1977 (R), 3l, with the original Triumph engine although it has been converted to unleaded and been fitted with an addtional cooling fan.
It has about 7,000 original miles, brown in colour with tan trim and has both a soft and hard top. It does have some 'bubbling' over several areas following a respray - it was done in original colour about 10 years ago but has since 'bubbled' which is disappointing.

Have you any idea how much it would be worth?

Also, just to add the issue, I dont have a garage or car port of any type, what would you say is the best solution short of building a garage? Would a car port be sufficent to keep it 'OK'?

Thanks again

Go to Top of Page

lewy
Forum Admin

United Kingdom
77 Posts

Posted - 13/01/2010 :  12:37:54  Show Profile  Visit lewy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I do know through experience with my stag that they can look deceivingly good, until you look closer. bubbling could be a sign of bad welds from a previous restoration (as I found) but it all depends on how they look.

If you can have a look under the carpets for floor panel rust - get it up on a ramp and have a look underneath for any holes.

Most people who start restoration always find a few problems, the unlucky find many bodges that make progress slower than expected, but they still have a good investment on their hands if they spend the time (and money) to get it right.

Price wise is hard to say without seeing photos, mileage is low which is a good start and having the original engine is another bonus when it comes to selling. See it as an investment, there aren't many stags on the road, but you can buy panels and all the parts which is better than most classics.

I paid £2000 a year and a half ago (knowing it needed restoration) after this recession is over and she's restored to a good standard it's worth anything from £4k up to £20k (depending on how good the restoration is)

Have a look on pistonheads there are a few stags for sale all different quality
http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/list.asp?s=255

Better to be in a garage ideally, but you can get a fitted stag cover that's water proof. The more water than can get to the shell the faster it will degrade.

sounds like mechanically it's in good order, but check everything over (good if you know a mechanic or know enough yourself)

Get the stag anyway I say

Lewy

The Stag Mad Team
Go to Top of Page

V Mad
Starting Member

United Kingdom
24 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2010 :  22:37:39  Show Profile  Visit V Mad's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I know a few people who use a stag as an every day car. It is feasible but it will probably take a year's shake down driving to get it to be reliable. Once sorted they can go on reliably for years.

Chris
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Stag Mad Forum © 2000-2002 Snitz Communications Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000