Modified engines
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

dec
Starting Member

United Kingdom
4 Posts

Posted - 23/10/2008 :  10:54:59  Show Profile  Click to see dec's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hello.

Im currently researching the beloved stag witha view to buying in the near future.. Iv seen many a car with different variants on the engine, ranging from truimph staight 6... rover V8 and even a ford V8.

Can anyone shed any light on whats best to go for.. Would it be the original Stag V8. Are the Triumph staight 6 and the rover V8 recognised conversions from a collectors point of view..

Dec

lewy
Forum Admin

United Kingdom
77 Posts

Posted - 24/10/2008 :  09:34:29  Show Profile  Visit lewy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Dec,

Traditionalist will most always say the triumph V8 - but they do have problems with overheating.
My Stag is a Rover V8 (it has an SD1 engine in it) The thing about the rover engine is it can be tuned and tinkerd with a lot more than the TV8. If you want extra power then maybe the Rover V8 is better for you - Stags with the TV8 seem to make more money when sold - and with due care and attention aren't likley to overheat - don't know much about the straight 6 or ford engines but there are Stag owners out there with them I've even seen stags with Cosworth engines in them!

Good luck on finding the right one for you!

Lewy

The Stag Mad Team
Go to Top of Page

Mr. Twosheds
Starting Member

United Kingdom
5 Posts

Posted - 27/12/2008 :  18:18:48  Show Profile  Click to see Mr. Twosheds's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
What sort of return would you get from the Rover V8, based on an even mix of urban and long distance? My new purchase will be my every day car.

Triumph 1360 converible, Ducati 750 Monster, 2008 Jag (company car) Smells nice and thats all I can say about it.
Go to Top of Page

tonygp
Starting Member

United Kingdom
18 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2009 :  23:38:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
just about to fit a 3.9efi into mine already have a 3.5 on carbs fitted im hoping for around 18 to 20 mpg the 3.9 doner car (rangerover) has lpg fitted on a donut tank i may fit this as well keep you all posted
Go to Top of Page

lewy
Forum Admin

United Kingdom
77 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2009 :  12:26:56  Show Profile  Visit lewy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Sounds interesting - mine has the SD1 rover engine (3.5 twin carb) at the moment although haven't tested it on the road yet still working away at the bodywork for now - the engine runs well without any problems so leaving the engine upgrades until a later date.

Been talking with a few mechanics about adding a 4litre (the ones in TVRs) but that's just talk at the moment.

Going to see what I can get out of it first. I've filled it up three times whilst moving it in and out of the workshop, Although the Tank needs replacing as it's gone porous... I've started pushing it in and out now as the tank is out and is ready to be replaced with a restored one.
Go to Top of Page

tonygp
Starting Member

United Kingdom
18 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2009 :  21:41:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
mine is away for paint at the moment aquired range rover after i sent it !! going to have to be careful putting the engine in!!
but its given me time to work out the wiring etc im fitting the engine complete with alt pas pump etc as they come out of the rangy done the measurments the 3.9 plenum is 15mm lower than the carbs ive got the carb engine in without a bulge so its looking good
Go to Top of Page

lewy
Forum Admin

United Kingdom
77 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2009 :  09:44:17  Show Profile  Visit lewy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Sounds Great Tony - It should be a flyer once you get the engine in and tuned, I quite like the bulge... but I'm bias because mine has one I think stags look good with a nicely done bulge... But I know most traditionalist hate it with a vengeance.

Post some photos in the photos section if you get chance, It's great to see under other peoples bonnets!

Lewy

The Stag Mad Team
Go to Top of Page

RV8 STAG
Starting Member

United Kingdom
6 Posts

Posted - 22/06/2009 :  08:49:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The 3.9 injected engine is the best choice. Have you thought how to stop it though. Stag brakes seem to slow it down, not stop the thing. Im still testing mine and its not been on the road for some years but as each problem is sorted two or three show up. There is a solution to every problem but somtime you have to undo weeks worth of work just to solve a small one.

Has any one found a radiator that will fit.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Stag Mad Forum © 2000-2002 Snitz Communications Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000