Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Colin
Starting Member

United Kingdom
4 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2009 :  02:23:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Hi

Im new to this forum.

With my Spitfire I found many sites, mainly in America, for adding more power to the stock Triumph engine. For example www.prirace.com offer everything you could want in engine tuning, my own Spitfire is Supercharged.
In regards to the Stag though the best I can find is a Holly carb conversion giving me around 165Bhp.
Assuming overheating is no problem can any one give me advise as to how I can get the maxium power from the Stag V8?
Looking at the space available around the engine it seems forced air, preferably turbocharging, is going to be difficult. Does anyone know if it has been attempted in the past?

Many Thanks

Colin

tonygp
Starting Member

United Kingdom
18 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2009 :  22:09:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
try hart racing i think he got around 200 bhp in his racer. Turbocharging a stag engine would be a no no i dont think it could get rid of the heat. The only option for a big power stag is an engine swop rover chevy small block ford windsor all good for 300 or if ur really brave a YB cosworth an easy 400 bhp+
Go to Top of Page

Colin
Starting Member

United Kingdom
4 Posts

Posted - 14/01/2009 :  00:41:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
An engine swap is a no no. Got to be the Triumph V8.
Go to Top of Page

sax player
Starting Member

United Kingdom
4 Posts

Posted - 14/01/2009 :  11:13:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Colin if you want real power with reliability forget the tv8. Yes t hart achieved good power increases, but at what cost?
Heres my car at lemans we come in about 30 sec, turn the volume up and enjoy. http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=NoDEeRmDu2M
Shaun
Go to Top of Page

tonygp
Starting Member

United Kingdom
18 Posts

Posted - 14/01/2009 :  23:24:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
glad someone agrees with me! stag engine nice but feeble for a v8 its a one off so power is really really expensive keep the stag for originality fit something else for power! nice vid by the way what you got in there sounds strong
Go to Top of Page

RV8 STAG
Starting Member

United Kingdom
6 Posts

Posted - 22/06/2009 :  08:34:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The triumph v8 is a more modern engine, well it was back in 1970. As it was never used in any other car other than the stag it show what a crap engine it was. The rover on the other hand was used by load of different companies right up yo a few years ago. That must say a lot. It was even used for the Metro 6R4 rally car, even though they did lop 2 clyinders off so it was a v6 so it would fit.

Get a 3.9 injected one and have some fun. Even in standard form it gives just under 200 bhp. If you want more its there, just modify as you go along, a bit here and there.

Go to Top of Page

piscean57
Starting Member

United Kingdom
3 Posts

Posted - 28/09/2010 :  12:47:32  Show Profile  Visit piscean57's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Interesting post. With a car like a Stag I am not sure making it into something really quick is what they are all about.

Mine has a RV8 with Holley so, in theory, I could get more horses from it but I am not that interested. If I want performance I use my M3
Go to Top of Page

V Mad
Starting Member

United Kingdom
24 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2010 :  07:34:59  Show Profile  Visit V Mad's Homepage  Reply with Quote
One of the best things is to fit tubular exhaust manifolds. Also the Holley is not working to full capacity unless you have a modified inlet manifold; the standard 4-into-2 is restrictive. (better still convert to a really good fuel injection). Then get your ignition system properly set up; you need plenty of advance coming in at higher revs but watch out for pinking. Is your valve timing spot on? There is not much other standard kit around for tuning though. Higher compression pistons are available but v.expensive.

Chris
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Stag Mad Forum © 2000-2002 Snitz Communications Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000